Tuesday, April 16, 2013

LARKSPUR BISTRO & GRILL


Last Saturday, this newly wed couple was searching for a nice romantic dinner to complement our stay at the Ambassador Hotel in Wichita (btw, AMAZING place to stay!) Seeing as we enjoyed a perfectly composed breakfast at Siena Tuscan Steakhouse, on the main floor of the Ambassador Hotel, we were itching for more good food.


After hearing good things from hearsay & Urbanspoon, Larkspur Bistro & Bar it was! 

Greeted by a friendly face, we were quickly sat. The atmosphere felt as if we stepped into a family vineyard in California. A little dated, but quaint. Apparently on the weekends they boast live jazz, which was enjoyable and not too loud. Our waitress was friendly, but short and maybe a little slow; her wine knowledge was not too extensive either. Though, we were pleased to see the menu was not in "a la cart" fashion. So we were content.


Upon surveying the menu, Larkspur offers a fusion of Mediterranean, French, Italian & American cuisine.  Luckily, I asked for the Soup of the Day. I eagerly began my dinner with the Clam Chowder. OMG. I would recommend this soup to all! It was creamy, luscious, balanced, and definitely not too salty, like a clam chowder can be. It tasted fresh and pair with the hot and fresh Homemade Sourdough Bread...wow! DELICIOUS! Crusty, moist, flaky, fresh, & warm. YES! I thought I struck gold with the glimmer of this first course. 

But, my excitement was quickly shot down. When I received my main entree, the Caesar Salad topped with Salmon, I was crestfallen. My fish was dry, lacked flavor, and proper seasoning. The "Stuffed Idaho Trout" my husband ordered was a disappointment as well. The same dry, old, frozen taste.  Though they advertise fresh seafood, I swear it came out of the freezer, or simply prepared in every wrong way possible. The latter half of the meal was not what I expected from a downtown restaurant, especially one who holds the slogan: "Wichita's favorite Old Town restaurant."

To be honest though, I think our downfall was in ordering all fish entrees; not something you can do at just any Midwest restaurant.  In the end, I might try Larkspur again for lunch and indulge in their delicious Clam Chowder.  But, if I go again for dinner, I will order steak...and it better be a damn good steak!




















"Larkspur is located at 904 E. Douglas in the heart of Wichita’s Old Town District"
LARKSPUR BISTRO & GRILL



Larkspur Restaurant & Grill on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sophia,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/329/1335814/restaurant/Larkspur-Restaurant-Grill-Wichita

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/329/10757/Wichita/Good-Eats-Wichita.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sophia! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/329/10757/Wichita/Good-Eats-Wichita.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete